Monday, September 19 | 4-5 p.m.
2022 International Economic Development Council (IEDC) Annual Conference | September 18-21 | Oklahoma City, OK | Learn more
Moderated by: Dan Gundersen, FM, HLM, Senior Vice President at Camoin Associates
- Kenny McDonand, CEcD, President and CEO of One Columbus (OH)
- Craig Richard, CEcD, FM, President and CEO of the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council (FL)
- Jeff Seymour, CEcD, Executive VP of Economic Development for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber (OK)
Plus Additional Commentary From:
- Wendy Feliz, Center for Inclusion and Belonging, American Immigration Council
- Matt Leighninger, Head of Democracy Innovation, National Conference on Citizenship
- Valerie Lemmie, Director of Exploratory Research, Kettering Foundation
Economic development often involves bringing people together to advance economic prosperity. However, that is sometimes easier said than done, especially now when many believe the state of civic (and civil) discourse in America is in critical condition.
This session will explore the state of democracy, the role of civic infrastructure, and how economic leaders can foster healthy civic discourse, encourage civil engagement, anticipate risks, and evaluate the impacts of dissension, while improving the capacity within their organizations and amongst their stakeholders to make sound decisions involving diverse inputs, and take proactive (and possibly unpopular) actions to minimize the risks.
Presented in three segments: Context, Expectations of the Public/Private Leadership, and Skills to Succeed. You will hear from an on-stage panel of respected economic development leaders from Oklahoma, Florida, and Ohio, plus recorded commentary from several nationally recognized experts.